Should I lower quality or downscale more in order to meet maximum size requirements?

This thread has 4 posts and 89 views.

If I have a promotional still that far exceeds the file size maximum is it better to lower quality export settings or simply scale image to a smaller aspect ratio in order to meet the maximum 7.5 mb file size requirement?

Which option would retain the quality of the image better? Which would be preferred for this site? Or is there a third, better option besides the two I can think of?

beef4brekki on 15 Jul 2024, 07:06:

If I have a promotional still that far exceeds the file size maximum is it better to lower quality export settings or simply scale image to a smaller aspect ratio in order to meet the maximum 7.5 mb file size requirement?

Which option would retain the quality of the image better? Which would be preferred for this site? Or is there a third, better option besides the two I can think of?

I have been in this situation numerous times. The first option "lower quality export settings" is certainly better.

andrewz on 15 Jul 2024, 11:31: I have been in this situation numerous times. The first option "lower quality export settings" is certainly better.

Okay seems like youve been on this site for a while. Thats what Im gonna do on Gimp. Hopefully this is what's approved by the admins of this site (assuming youre not?). Dont think there was any info on this scenario anywhere on this site (there should be though) that I could find anyway

Actually, do you know if there is a way to have the Gimp app automatically set the exporting quality (for jpegs) to the maximum quality that doesnt exceed that 7.5 limit?

You have to login to be able to post a reply.